- Neuromuscular Biomechanics
- Motor Control of Locomotion
- Evolution of Musculoskeletal Design
- Musculoskeletal Modeling and Computer Simulation
- Graduating senior Kami Cole wins the Department of Biological Sciences Undergraduate Research Award.
- Gradute student Katie Shine awarded grants from the Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology, the Journal of Experimental Biology, and the International Student Scholarship Endowment in 2015.
- CNBL receives 3 year grant from the US Army Research Office to study the biomechanics of escape by kangaroo rats.
- CNBL research featured in Pacific Northest Inlander, The O&P Edge and Healio.
- CNBL research project focusing on nueromuscular adaptation to lower leg prosthetics gets highlighted in the Univerity of Idaho 2015 Research Report.
- Mariah Eckwright and Skyler Penberthy, undergraduate researchers in the lab, win prestigious University of Idaho Alumni Award for Excellence.
- Recent Gradutate Dr. Missy Thompson appointed as Assistant Professor in Exercise Science at Fort Lewis College is Durango, CO!
- The CNBL Presents "Animal Athletes"
at the Palouse Discovery Science Center - Dec 8, 2012
- Click here for more
- Interested in joining the Lab? Click here
For More Lab News and Events Visit Us on Facebook
Shine, C.L., Penberthy, S., Robbins, C.T., Nelson, O.L. and McGowan, C.P. (2015). Grizzly bear (Ursus arctos horribilis) locomotion: gaits and ground reaction forces. In press, J. Exp. Biol. doi:10.1242/jeb.121806
Moore, J.M., McGowan, C. P and McKinley, P.K,. (2015) Evaluating the Effect of a Flexible Spine on the Evolution of Quadrupedal Gaits, Proceedings of the European Conference on Artificial Life 2015, pp. 166-173 PDF
Thompson, M.A., Lee, S.S., Seegmiller, J. and McGowan, C.P. (2015). Kinematic and kinetic comparison of barefoot and shod running in mid/forefoot and rearfoot strike runners. Gait & Posture. In press DOI: dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2015.03.002 PDF
Lee, D.V., Isaacs, M.R., Higgins, T.E., Biewener, A.A., and McGowan,C.P. (2014). Scaling of the Spring in the Leg during Bouncing Gaits of Mammals. Integr. Comp. Biol. 54.6: 1099-1108 PDF
Thompson, M.A., Gutmann, A., Seegmiller, J. and McGowan, C.P. (2014). The effects of stride length on the dynamics of barefoot and shod running. J. Biomech. 47:11, 2745–2750
DOI: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2014.04.043 PDF
Dieter, B.P., McGowan, C.P., Stoll, S.K. and Vella, C.A. (2014) Muscle activation patterns and patellofemoral pain in cyclists. Med Sci in Sports & Exercise. 46.4: 753-761. PDF
Moore, J.M., Gutmann, A.K., McGowan, C. P., and McKinley, P.K. (2013). Exploring the Role of the Tail in Bipedal Hopping through Computational Evolution, Proceedings of the 12th European Conference on Artificial Life (ECAL), Taormina, Italy, September. PDF
Gutman, A.K., Lee, D.V., and McGowan, C.P. (2013). Collision-based mechanics of bipedal hopping. Bio Lett. 9:20130418.dx.doi.org/10.1098/rsbl.2013.0418 PDF
McGowan, C.P., Neptune , R.R., and Herzog, W. (2013). A phenomenological muscle model to assess history dependent effects in human movement . J. Biomech. 46, 151-157. PDF
McGowan, C.P., Grabowski, A.M., McDermott, W.J., Herr, H.M. and Kram, R. (2012). Leg stiffness of sprinters using running-specific prostheses. J. R. Soc. Interface. doi: 10.1098/rsif.2011.087. PDF
Neptune, R.R and McGowan, C.P. (2011). Muscle contributions to whole-body sagittal plane angular momentum during walking. J. Biomech. 44, 6-12. PDF