An assignment that has been submitted, but not graded, is indicated with an exclamation mark which is the Needs Grading icon. Instructors have the option to grade assignments anonymously. Assignments that need grading can be accessed from:
- Needs Grading page
- Full Grade Center
- Bb Grader Mobile App (available for iPads only)
Open a Submission
To start grading an assignment, follow the steps below:
- Under the Grade Center, select Full Grade Center.
- Click the action menu for the student's assignment that you want to grade.
- Select the Attempt you want to grade from the drop down menu.
Grading Options for Assignments
- Inline Grading (using ) makes grading easy for many file types including Word documents and PDF files without having to download or upload files.
- Download all assignment submissions. Then upload Instructor feedback for students.
- Download a single assignment submission. Then upload Instructor feedback for your student.
- If you are using SafeAssign, the plagiarism detection software, for this assignment...[CLICK TO EXPAND]You should see an originality score for the student's attempt. If instead, you see "Report in progress...", this just means the SafeAssign originality report has not yet been processed and you should check back later. You may need to exit and return to refresh the browser. Note: The SafeAssign report runs on student submitted text and files. SafeAssign only supports file types that are convertible to plain text including: DOCX, DOC, PPT, PPTX, PDF, TXT, ODT, RTF, HTML, and HTM. Spreadsheet files are not supported.
SafeAssign should be used as a proactive tool rather than a policing tool. The originality score is ONLY a warning indicator and is not a measure of student intentions or dishonesty. Originality scores below 15% show NO EVIDENCE of plagiarism. Review work with scores above 15% to see if the matches are properly attributed. It is the instructor's responsibility to examine the phrases that match outside sources and determine if they are properly attributed. Please review each case carefully.
Learn more >>
- Click SafeAssign to expand this section.
- Click View Originality Report
- Student work marked with a color is found to match other sources. The originality report displays the list of potential sources and each source is highlighted in a different color.
- Click a highlighted phrase in the text of the work to view a comparison of it to the original source.
- By default, all sources are included. Click Select Sources and Resubmit to exclude sources from the results.
- Clear the check box for each source you wish to exclude from the results and then press Resubmit.
- Click on the printer icon at the top of the page to print the originality report.
- Close the originality report when you are done viewing it.
Submit Score & Feedback
- Leave the field next to GRADE blank. Do not enter a score in this area.
- Enter a score for the ATTEMPT.
- By default, the instructor feedback section is hidden. Click the tiny arrow below ATTEMPT to open up the feedback section.
- Enter Feedback for your student.
- Attach files to give back to your student by clicking the paperclip, pressing Browse My Computer to locate the file, and (optionally) changing the file link title to something different. Press Submit when you are finished.
- Press Submit to finish grading the assignment.
Student Submission Receipts
Each time a student uploads and submits files to the Assignment tool, a submission receipt is emailed to them. They may also view these receipts in their My Grades area under the Submitted tab. Instructors may also view these receipts by following the steps below:
- On the Control Panel, expand Grade Center.
- Click on Full Grade Center.
- On the Grade Center action bar, hover over Reports and select Submission Receipts to view a record of all the submission receipts emailed to your students.