Drop Lowest Score
BbLearn allows you to drop the lowest score from a selection of grade columns. For example, you may decide to drop the lowest Assignment out of six Assignments worth 100 pts each--for a final total of 500 points possible. Below are instructions on how to do this.
Step 1: Assign Categories to Columns
In the Grade Center, Categories can be assigned to columns in order to group related columns together. To drop the lowest score from a subset of columns in the grade center, EACH column in the subset MUST be assigned the SAME Category. This Category must be unique to this subset of columns--it CANNOT be assigned to any other column in your grade center.
- From the Control Panel, click on Grade Center.
- Select the Full Grade Center.
- From the menu at the top of the Grade Center, click on Manage.
- Select Column Organization.
- Check the boxes next to the column names that you want to assign a specific category to.
- Under the menu button, press Change Category to.
- Select the desired category. (e.g. Assignment)
- Continue to do this until all of your columns have been assigned a Category. (Note: you may create custom Categories if needed.)
- Press Submit to save your changes.
Step 2: Drop the Lowest Score
Once you have a Category assigned to each column, you are ready calculate a final score.
- Under the Control Panel, expand the Grade Center.
- Go to the Full Grade Center.
|Follow ONE of these options:|
Use EXISTING Calculated Column
Create NEW Calculated Column
- At this point, you should be in edit mode for an existing or new calculated column.
- Scroll down to the Select Columns section in Edit.
- Select the Selected Columns and Categories option. This will expand your view to show you a full list of columns and categories active in your Grade Center.
- On the left side, highlight a specific Category (or Column) needed for your final calculation and press the corresponding arrow to move the highlighted item(s) over into the Selected Columns area on the right side. Repeat this as many times as needed until all of the columns & categories required to produce the desired final score have been added to the Selected Columns on the right side. Note: If an individual Column is part of one of the Categories selected, DO NOT ALSO select the individual column. This will result in adding the column's score to the Total twice.
- Under Drop Grades, enter the number of Lowest Grades you wish to drop, e.g., 1. (Note: Dropping the lowest score can only be done on a Category.)
- Decide if you want a Running Total or not.
Note: A running total only includes items that have grades or attempts. Selecting No includes all items in the calculations, using a value of 0 for an item if there is no grade.
- Press Submit.
- In the Full Grade Center, hover over the calculated column you just setup to confirm that the Grade Information Bar shows the correct number of points possible for that calculation.