The Weighted column is a type of calculated column that generates a grade based on the result of selected columns and categories, and their respective percentages. For example, your syllabus may list Tests to be worth 50% of the course grade, while assignments and participation are each worth 25%. Below are the steps involved in setting up a weighted column.
The simplest way to setup a weighted total is to categorize your grades, and then tell the Weighted column what percentage each category is worth. In the example below, all course Tests are worth 50 percent of the final grade, and projects are worth the other 50 percent. In this case, for each column in the grade center, you will set the appropriate category and then set the Weighted column to the appropriate percentage for each category. The instructions below will show you how to do this.
STEP 1: Setup your Grading Categories
- On the Control Panel, expand on Grade Center.
- Click on Full Grade Center.
- On the Full Grade Center page action bar, under on Manage select Categories.
- Review the categories available by default such as Blog, Assignment, Discussion, Test, etc. You may be able categorize all your grades into one of these pre-existing categories. If that's the case, skip down to Step 2.
- If you need to create a custom category for your grades, click on Create Category.
- Enter a Name for the Category (e.g., Projects).
- Press Submit.
- BbLearn will display a success message at the top of the screen indicating the category was created. You will also be able to see the new category.
- Press OK in the lower right corner to return to the Full Grade Center.
STEP 2: Assign Categories to Columns
Now you need to categorize every grade column that you want to have included in the weighted total.
- From the Control Panel, click on Grade Center.
- Select the Full Grade Center.
- From the menu at the top of the Grade Center, click on Manage.
- Select Column Organization.
- Check the boxes next to the column names that you want to categorize.
- Under the menu button Change Category to, select the appropriate category.
- BbLearn will then reference the new Category.
- Press Submit to save your changes.
STEP 3: Setup Weighted Column
When every column has been categorized, you're ready to setup the column weighting. If you don't have a Weighed Total column you can create one using the Create Calculated Column menu above the Grade Columns.
- Click the Options menu to the right of the Weighted Total column
- Select Edit Column Information.
- Set the Primary display type as Score, Letter Grade, Text, Percentage or Complete/Incomplete.
- Optionally you can select a Secondary display for yourself.
Note: Primary is displayed to your Students, and the Secondary grade is not.
- Under Select Columns, you'll want to select each of the categories you would like to include in the Weighted total, and press the right facing arrow to select them.
- Note: you can also include individual columns, if needed.
- Specify the "Weight" or Percentage each column should receive. In the example below, the categories "Tests" and "Projects" are each being weighted at 50%.
Note: The weight percentage must total to 100%.
- You also have the option of dropping the lowest score at this point.
- Select "Yes" to Calculate as Running Total which exempts gradable columns with no score. Select "No" to include ALL gradable columns?forcing 0's for no scores.
- Press Submit to save your settings.
- BbLearn displays a success message at the top of the screen to indicate your column edits have been saved.
- If you've entered grades for either your Student Preview or enrolled students, you should see that reflected in the Weighted Column.