Grade Discussion Posts
Student interactions with the Discussion Board create a permanent record of participation. Assessing participation can be ambiguous as it is sometimes difficult to differentiate a student who is active, but does not advance the discussion, from a student who speaks less frequently, but with greater impact. Students need timely and constructive responses regarding the quality of their contributions. Evaluation not only lets them know how they performed, but shapes the improvement of future interactions.
(2:31 min video)
Students can be graded on their participation, on the quality of their posts, or a combination of the two. You can create rubrics and refer to them while grading forums and threads, but the rubrics must be created and added to the appropriate Grade Center columns in advance. You can assign one grade for all of a student's posts in a forum or grade by thread. Assigning one grade to all of a student's posts in a specific thread gives you more flexibility when assessing participation.
- On the Control Panel, click on Course Tools to expand it.
- Select Discussion Board.
- Click on the Discussion Board you want to grade.
- Click on the Option menu for the forum, and select Grade
- Press the Grade button to the right of the student you want to grade.
FYI... you can get to this same location through the Grade Center.
- On the Control Panel, click on Grade Center.
- Under Grade Center, click on Full Grade Center.
- Locate the column for the Grade Discussion
- Locate the student you want to grade, click on the option menu for that cell.
- Select Grade User Activity.
- While grading a discussion forum you may adjust the forum's view by collapsing or expanding areas of the screen (see screenshot below).
- Click the student list on the right to find additional student posts.
- Review the student's post.
- Enter a Grade and any comments you'd like to make (also see help on Rubrics).
- Press Submit to save the grade.
- BbLearn will display a Successfully updated grade message.
- Use the arrow buttons to navigate to the next student.