BbLearn allows you to maintain all of your course content within one "Master Course" instead of having to maintain multiple BbLearn course spaces. If your course is cross-listed or joint-listed, the sections will typically be AUTOMATICALLY merged into a "Master Course" containing the students from each merged section. Directed Study courses can not be merged with other course offerings. (See Faculty Staff Handbook section 4130 C-3 for more information). However, if you teach multiple sections of the same course or hold a "Meets Together" class, you MUST request a MANUAL course merge by filling out the Course Merge Request.
BbLearn will display the appropriate course title for the section a student is registered in. However, each student will actually work directly inside the "Master Course" and will never see course content stored within the "Child Course" section. Student enrollment maintenance such as adds, drops, and section changes are AUTOMATICALLY updated throughout the semester.
ATTENTION Student work cannot be transferred to a merged "MASTER COURSE". You may not want to request a merge if students have already submitted course work.
Course Merge Help
Once course sections are merged into a "Master Course" (either automatically via BANNER or manually by Instructor request), your BbLearn course list will display a "MASTER_COURSE" containing the student enrollments for each section. Listed directly underneath it will appear all of its attached "CHILD_COURSE" sections.
- Add your content to the "MASTER_COURSE".
- Copy content from others courses into the "MASTER_COURSE." (Optional)
- Make "Master Course" available to students when you're ready to begin teaching.
- Sort Grade Columns by Child_Course_ID.
- Separate Grades by Section. (Optional)
- Hide "Child course" sections you do not need them. (Optional)
- Can I communicate with each section independently, even if they're merged?Yes. Each section will remain in your BbLearn course list as a "child course." Although you won't use the child courses to deliver content (because your content will be uploaded to the Master Course), you can use these "child courses" to Send Email to each section of students.
- Should I turn on the "Child Course," or the "Master Course," or both?do not make your "CHILD" sections available to students. If you do, students will see two identically titled hyperlinks to your course. One link will take them to your "MASTER COURSE" and the other will take them to the "CHILD" section which is active. These two courses are stored in separate locations and do not share course material, discussions, assignments, assessments, grade centers, etc. Giving students access to both the "MASTER COURSE" and their "CHILD" section will cause confusion and frustration.
- What do students see when a course is merged?BbLearn will display the appropriate course title for the section a student is registered in. However, each student will actually work directly inside the "Master Course" and will never see course content stored within their "Child Course" section.