Accessibility & Ally
Student Accessibility Support
UIDAHO - Center for Disability Access and Resources
Phone: (208) 885-6307
Location: Bruce M. Pitman Center, Suite 127, Moscow Campus
Using Alternative Formats via Ally
It is important for the University of Idaho to offer students meaningful, inclusive, and accessible learning opportunities. We are excited to announce that in Fall 2018, a limited number of BbLearn courses are trying out a new product called Ally. Ally provides students with alternative formats for files distributed via BbLearn. For Word documents, PowerPoint documents, and PDF's, you can download alternative formats of the content (e.g. Audio mp3 files for learning on the go). Watch the 48 sec video below to learn more.
An Introduction to Ally (video)
(0:48 min video)
How to download Alternative File Formats
- Select the grey option icon next to a content item or attached file.
- Select the Alternative formats option from the dropdown menu.
- Select one of the available formats.
- Press the Download button.
- The file may take a few minutes to generate and download.
- Depending on the type of document, you many find some or all of these options:
- An OCRed PDF which is used to improve the text of scanned documents
- A Tagged PDF with improved navigation, especially if you use a screen reader
- An HTML version that will be adjust text for your mobile devices
- An ePub version if you use an eReader or tablet
- An Electronic Braille version if you're a braille reader
- An Audio version for listening to an MP3
Additional Support for Ally
Note: Ally is available in a limited number of courses at this time.
Info on Accessibility
Blackboard is committed to ensuring that their platform is usable and accessible. The National Federation of the Blind (NFB) recently awarded Blackboard Learn, Release 9.1 with a Nonvisual Accessibility Gold Certification, making it the first learning management system to achieve certification. Learn More
JAWS demo videos are available to demonstrate recorded sessions in which a blind user is using a JAWS screen reader to interact with and complete various tasks in BbLearn including submitting an assignment, taking a test, building content and grading students. Watch Video
- Press Alt + Shift + L on your keyboard to access the Quick Links navigation in BbLearn.
- Yon may press Tab (down) or Shift + Tab (up) to navigate to your course content.