University of Idaho - From Here You Can Go Anywhere  



July 1996



PREAMBLE: The preparation of teachers is of necessity a cooperative enterprise involving the College of Education and other UI colleges. This section discusses the primary policy concepts on which procedures are based. It appeared in the 1979 Handbook; in May, 1983, art education was added to the list (in section C) of those disciplines where there is a subject matter advisor only. For further information, contact the College of Education (208-885-6772).

A. Majors. A student may prepare for a career in teaching in one of two ways: by completing the requirements for a bachelor's degree that is offered by the College of Education, or by completing the requirements for a bachelor's degree that is offered by one of the other colleges and taking the additional professional courses required for certification.

B. Teaching Fields. Requirements for both teaching major and teaching minor subject-matter fields are determined primarily by the appropriate subject-matter department in consultation with the College of Education and are printed in the catalog.

C. Advisers. Teacher-education students have two advisers: one from the subject-matter department and one from the College of Education. When students identify teacher education as their objective (this could be as early as the freshman year and certainly no later than admission to the Teacher Education Program) their advisers are designated. They plan and approve a program of studies with the student. As long as this approved program is followed, only the student's college adviser is required to sign the registration cards. Changes in the program require the signatures of both advisers. Exceptions to this rule are students majoring in agricultural education, art education, family and consumer sciences education, music education, and subject-matter areas in the College of Education, who have advisers in their subject-matter areas only.

D. Certification. The college in which the student is enrolled initiates the application for certification. The subject-matter adviser and the professional-education adviser sign the necessary forms and forward them to the dean of the College of Education. The dean, in turn, works with the registrar to get the necessary supporting credentials and forwards the materials to the proper certification office. The College of Education keeps a record of all students recommended for certification. Recommendations concerning a student's competence are made by the departments in which the skills and concepts are taught.

E. Teacher Education Coordinating Committee. For the function and structure of this committee, see 1640.86.

Back to Table of Contents
Forward to 4310

University of Idaho, Moscow, ID, 83844