OBJECTIVES FOR PHIL 103
The aim of the course is to help the student understand how moral claims are justified as well as provide the student with the perspective that moral philosophy can bring to a world of social change. It encourages students to reflect on their actions rather than to act impulsively, habitually, or only with regard to the close-range consequences of their acts.
GOALS FOR PHIL 103
1. Students will improve their understanding of the history of ethical thought in European and Asian philosophy.
2. Students will improve their ability to evaluate questions of virtue and moral character.
3. Students will improve their understanding about how moral principles and rules may help one decide what is right in particular cases.
4. Students will improve their ability to argue in writing or analyze for or against an ethical position or problem.
5. Students will improve their ability to assess the strengths and weaknesses of European and Asian philosophy.
6. Students will improve their ability to read complex philosophical material.