Welcome Message from Cindy:
Welcome to the home page
for Psychology 475. I hope you find this class fun and a major
learning experience. Listen to the course introduction by clicking
on the audio link below:
audio requires the FREE
This course is designed for the student seeking
information regarding ethical and legal issues in the field of
substance abuse counseling. Topics will include the counselor as a
professional, values and helping relationship, client rights and
counselor responsibilities, ethics and cultural sensitivity, plus
professional competency training.
- Be able to distinguish between “law” and
- Demonstrate “critical thinking skills”.
- Understand problem solving skills as it applies
to ethical dilemmas.
- Understand and explain personal ethical
- Knowledge of the Code of Ethics for Substance
- Conduct an on-going self-evaluation of
professional performance applying legal, ethical and professional
- Understand ethical implications of a
Students will acquire the following
- Ability to compare and contrast federal, state, agency, and
professional codes of ethics.
- Participant’s rights and responsibilities.
Professional standards and scope of practice.
Understand boundaries between counselors and clients.
Understand consequences for violating code of ethics.
Process used to address alleged ethical violations.
Personality, culture, lifestyle and other factors influencing
- Demonstrating ethical and professional behavior.
- Willingness to change personal behaviors and attitude that
may conflict with professional guidelines.
- Respect for professional standards.