to Policy Coordinator
Changes (amendments)/New Policy
Policy changes (October 2007-present) distributed to the university
New Policy: View Policy
Writing Guide (link to the left.) -
Amendment (change): Check if a policy has been REQUESTED for Review
(below), if so contact individual listed and work together on changes:
- Request original MS Word policy
document from email@example.com
Reference policy number in subject line e.g. APM 50.55, FSH 3360.
- Use "track changes" in MS Word to edit policy.
Why? Tracking changes maintains a historical archive of policy changes and
allows employees to see exactly what was changed in a policy that they
- Assign one individual who oversees ALL
changes (if more than one person is involved) - avoids incorrect versions
being sent forward.
- Follow these guidelines:
- Rewrite (yes/no?): Once you begin
with track changes and discover that 3/4 of the policy is deleted/changed
- it is a rewrite. Indicate on the coversheet (below) that it is a rewrite
and what policy or policies are affected. DO NOT use a
rewrite to simplify the editing process.
- Format: Ensure that
all new policies and changes to existing policies are consistent with the
policy template (click here)
as much as possible. Note: The template is provided
as an example and should not be taken as a mandatory form to strictly
adhere to. Some policies have unique circumstances and will differ
e.g. preamble is used for the FSH.
- Links: Keep to a minimum! If you must use a link
make sure they work and do not link to external non-UI sites.
Check with General Counsel (885-6125 or
- Guidance: The writing guide link to the
left can be very helpful.
- Download and fill out cover sheet (below).
- Policy Sponsor must review and sign-off on the policy (see
FSH 1460 B-6 and C).
Enter name and date on cover sheet.
- Return an electronic copy of both the cover sheet and policy to firstname.lastname@example.org or
Reference policy number in subject line e.g. APM
30.55, FSH 3120.
- Upon review and final edits recommended by
this office, the policy will be forwarded to General Counsel for review and
sign off prior to returning to this office. If they have any
questions/issues, they will work directly with the originator/sponsor or
designated individual working on the specific policy.
- Sponsors with specific legal questions can direct them to the Office of General Counsel (email@example.com).
"Cover Sheet Form" (pdf)
A cover sheet
must be used for all proposed changes
to, deletions of and proposed new university-wide policies,
e.g. those in the Faculty-Staff
Handbook or the Administrative Procedures Manual.