[RSS] [Google]

homepage

contents

contact us

Library Philosophy and Practice 2011

ISSN 1522-0222

Use of the Internet in Government First Grade College Libraries in Bidar District

Dr. D.B. Patil
Reader and Research Guide
Department of P.G. Studies and Research in Library and Information Science
Gulbarga University, Gulbarga-585104, Karnataka, India

Introduction

Internet has revolutionized the world of information.  It is one of two technological innovations that have greatly influence the development of communication strategies and practices in both the general and the business communities of the world.  The first was the invention of the printing press, Gutenberg’s invention served to democratize the possession and transmission of texts, made the production of books much easier and cheaper than the manuscript method it replaced.  The Internet provides new horizons for the researcher.  A potentially vast population of all kinds of individuals and groups may be more easily reached than ever before, across geographical borders.  

Objectives

  • To understand the perceptions of Internet technology by students and teaching faculty of colleges,
  • To identify the purpose for using the Internet by students and teaching faculty of colleges,
  • To identify the use of Internet services and its impact on college activities and services.
  • To understand the search strategy adopted for searching information by students and teaching faculty of colleges,
  • To know the level of satisfaction towards Internet and evaluate the features of Internet as an information source and
  • To understand the difficulties faced by users in using the Internet.

Statement of the Problem

The study is restricted to Government First Grade colleges libraries in Bidar District and studies the use of the Internet in the libraries there, with a view to discovering problems, offering recommendations, and providing insight on user needs and behavior.

Methodology

The questionnaire method has been adopted for collecting research data from the user of college libraries which has been distributed to 8 colleges libraries in Bidar District. 320 questionnaires have distributed to the students and faculty members in 8 colleges libraries of Bidar Dist. Out of which, 260 filled in questionnaires were received back which accounts 81.25%.

Literature Review

The use of Internet methodology discussed by Eynon (2005). The most common use of ICTs in all subjects was to provide students with access to a range of online resources.  Academic’s students with access to it range of online resources. Academic’s motivations for using ICTs included: enhancing the educational, such as the rise in student numbers and demand for flexible learning opportunities; and personal interest and enjoyment. The difficulties academics encountered when using these technologies for teaching included; alack of time; dissatisfaction with the software available; and copyright. This is a small scale, exploratory study. The study of  the extent use of the Internet by Adanu and Alemna (2005).The study was undertaken at the Balme Library, University or Ghana. The findings indicate that among the services, email is the most used, followed by the use for research. The study undertaken by Adame (2005) surveyed 743 undergraduate students at two academic institutions to examine their Internet use, health-seeking behaviors, and attitudes related to the use of the Internet to obtain health information.  Fifty-three percent of the respondents indicated that they would like to get health information online, and 288 reported that they would like to attend a health program online. Overall, 74% of the students reported having ever received health information online, and more than 40% reported that they frequently searched the Internet for information. They used various search engines and multiple websites to find health information. Issues related to the credibility of the information on health sites to find health information. Issues related to the credibility of the information on health sites were crucial considerations for students.

The study by Luambano and Julita (2004) revealed that the level of students' access to the Internet was low, and the major reason was that at the time of the study, computers with Internet facilities were inadequate. The findings also revealed that the students who had access to the Internet were not using it effectively. They used it mainly for communication with friends and relatives more than for academic purposes. The cause of this was found to be lack of skill required for effective use of the Internet. The study recommends the provision of more computer with Internet facilities, increasing Internet access speed, as well as providing more chances of training in Internet use.

Colleges Libraries in Bidar Districts: An Overview

In Bidar district, there are 38 colleges are imparting different disciplines of education.  Out of 38 college, there are three engineering colleges, one medical college, four pharmacy colleges, three B.Ed. Colleges and 27 Degree Colleges.  Out of 27 degree colleges, there are 8 Government First Grade Colleges.These colleges have been established in different years.  Further the information of the colleges is given below in brief:

  • Government First Grade College, Bidar.
  • Government First Grade College, Aurad
  • Government First Grade College, Basavakalyan
  • Government First Grade College, Bhalki
  • Government First Grade College, Humnabad
  • Government First Grade College, Chitguppa, Humnabad Taluka
  • Government First Grade College, Manhalli, Bidar
  • Government First Grade College, Hulsur, Basavakalyan Taluka

The total population of Bidar district is 15,02,373.

Data Analysis and Interpretation

Table 1: Growth of Government Colleges

Sl. No. Year of Establishment No. of Colleges Percentage
  1974-1983 01 12.5%
  1984-1993 00 00.0%
  1994-2003 00 00.0%
  Above 2003 07 87.5%
  Total 08 100.00

The survey reveals that one of Govt. College were established in 1974 in Bidar. Rest of colleges were established above 2003.

Table 2: Show application of computer facilities

Sl. No. Computer facilities No. of Colleges Percentage
  Available 01 12.50%
  Not available 07 87.50%
  Total 08 100.00

The study reveals that 12.50% colleges having the computer facilities but remaining 87.5% colleges do not have computer facilities. 

Table 3: Show Internet Facility

Sl. No. Internet Facility No. of Colleges Percentage
  Available 01 12.50%
  Not available 07 87.50%
  Total 08 100.00

The study reveals that 12.50% (1) college is having the Internet facilities but remaining 87.50% colleges do not have Internet facilities. 

Table 4: Number of Students

Sl. No. No. of Students No. of Colleges Percentage
  1 - 50 01 12.50%
  51 - 100 03 37.5%
  101 - 150 03 37.5%
  151 - 200 00 00.0%
  201 - 250 00 00.0%
  251 - 300 01 12.5%
  Total 08 100.00

The study reveals that 12.50% (1) of college student strength between 1- 50 .  The study reveals that 37.50% (3) of college students strength between 51-100.  The study reveals that 37.50% (3) college students strength between 101 - 150 in the colleges. 

Table 5: Permanent Teaching Staff

Sl. No. No. of Permanent Teaching Staff No. of Colleges Percentage
  1 - 2 02 25.00%
  3 - 4 02 25.00%
  5 - 6 03 37.50%
  Above 6 01 12.50%
  Total 08 100

The study reveals that 25% (2) of the colleges have got the permanent teaching staff strength between 1 - 2.  25% (2) colleges have got teaching staff strength between 3 - 4.  37.5% (3) of colleges have got teaching staff strength between 5-6.  12.5% have got the teaching staff strength more than 6.

Table 6: Permanent Supporting Staff

Sl. No. No. of Permanent Supporting Staff No. of Colleges Percentage
  1 - 2 06 75.00%
  3 - 4 00 00.00
  Above 4 01 12.50%
  No staff 01 12.50%
  Total 08 100.00

The survey reveals that 75% (6) of the colleges have got the permanent supporting staff strength between 1-2.  No colleges have got the permanent supporting staff strength between 3 - 4.  12.5% (1) have got the permanent supporting staff above 4.

Table 7: Year of Establishment of the College Libraries

Sl. No. Year No. of Colleges Percentage
  1974-83 01 12.50%
  1984-93 00 00.00
  1994-03 00 00.00
  Above 2003 07 87.50%
  Total 08 100.00

The above table reveals that 12.5% (1) of colleges have established their libraries between 1974-83, remaining college libraries were established above 2003.

Table 8: Number of Users

Sl. No. No. of questionnaire distributed No. of questionnaire received Percentage
  320 260 81.25%

The above table shows that 320 questionnaire were distributed and 260 were received filled in questionnaire back, which accounts 81.25% where the Internet facilities available in college libraries.

Sixty respondents were female and the rest male.

Table 9: Satisfaction with existing Internet Facility

Sl. No. Internet Facility Response Percentage
  Satisfied 200 76.92%
  Not satisfied 60 23.08%
  Total 260 100

Table shows that, 76.92% users were satisfaction with existing Internet facility, but remaining 23.08% (60) of them are Internet facilities not satisfied.

Table 10: Use of Internet Services in Colleges

Sl. No. Where do you get access to Internet service Response Percentage
  Department 00 00
  Computer Centre 00 00
  College library 225 86.54%
  At home 35 13.46%
  Private browsing centre 00 00
  Total 260 100

The above table shows indicates that use of Internet at different centres.  It reveals that 86.54% (225) of respondents accessed Internet in college library 13.46% (35) at home. 

Table 11: The purpose of using Internet

Sl. No. Purpose of Using Internet Frequency Percentage
  Personal Common / E-mail 100 38.46%
  Sending Manuscripts for publication article 10 3.85%
  Exchange of Information 10 3.85%
  For Browsing and downloading concerned related articles 20 7.70%
  Keeping update 20 7.70%
  Home assignment 00 00
  For course related information 10 3.85%
  Inter library loan request 100 38.46%
  For Research project 00 00.00
  Getting photo copies of documents 00 00
  Getting conference information 20 7.70%

The study reveals that 38.46% (100) of respondents used for e-mail service. 3.85% used for sending manuscripts for publication.

The study reveals that are 7.70% of respondents used Internet keeping update of knowledge 3.85% used for course related information, 38.46% used for Internet library loan request, 7.70% used for getting conference information.

Table 12: Motivation for using Internet

Sl. No. Motivate to use of Internet as a source Response Percentage
  Enhance Internet band-width 49 18.85%
  Central facilities at the institution 60 23.08%
  Training/awareness program for faculty and students 105 40.38%

The study reveals that 18.85% (49) of respondents have asked that enhance the Internet band width which helps to us search information on Internet. 23.08% (60) of respondents have suggested that Internet facilities should give at the centre of the library. 40.38% (105) of needed Training/ Awareness Program for faculty and students.

Table 13: Use of Internet of subject related activities 

Sl. No. Internet for Subject related activities Response Percentage
  Less than 2 hours 50 19.23%
  2 - 4 Hours 30 11.54%
  5- 7 Hours 08 3.08%
  More than 7 Hours 10 3.85%
  Not used by users 162 62.30%
  Total 260 100

Above table indicates that 19.23% (50) respondents use of Internet less than 2 hours.  11.54% (30) of respondents use of Internet between 2 - 4 hours.  3.08% (8) and 3.85% (10) use Internet between 5 - 7 Hours and more than 7 hours respectively and rest of 62.50% (162) were not used. 

Table 14: Advanced Internet training necessary

Sl. No. Internet training necessary Response Percentage
  Yes 200 76.92%
  No 60 23.08%
  Total 260 100

Above table shows that, in view of this question was raised by student, it reveals that out of 260 of respondents. 76.92% (200) have expressed they are in need of training how to use Internet resources.  However, remaining 23.08% (60) of stated that the training program is not necessary.

Table 15: Methods of acquiring Internet Skills

Sl. No. Conditions Response Percentage
  Computer Center 100 38.46%
  Library Staff 68 26.15%
  Colleagues 38 14.62%
  Friends 54 20.77%
  Total 260 100

Above table indicates that 38.46% (100)  respondents have taken Internet skills by help of computer center. It is followed by library staff 26.15% (68). 14.62(38) by colleagues and friends 20.77(54) respectively

Table 16: Shows search strength by respondents

Sl. No. Research Strategy Response Percentage
  Using Search Engines 52 20%
  Using Website address 82 31.54%
  Browsing the Internet 41 15.77%
  Help of lecturers 15 05.77%
  Help of librarian 18 06.92%

It is observed from above table that 20% (52) of respondents used through search engines 31.54 (82) of respondents used Internet through website address. 15.77% (41) of respondents used Internet for browsing only. 5.77% (15) of respondents used Internet with help of lecturers. 6.92% (18) of respondents used Internet with help of libraries.

Table 17: Reasons for not using Internet

Sl. No. Reasons Response Percentage
  Facility not available 00 00.00
  Not useful 10 3.85%
  Not interested 20 7.69%
  Lack of awareness 100 38.46%
  Lack of Training 100 38.46%
  Financial constants 20 7.69%

The study indicates that 38.46% (100) respondents were not use Internet due to lack of training.  7.69% (20) and 7.69% (20) of respondents not use Internet due to not interested and financial constants respectively. 3.85% (10) of respondents not use Internet due to not useful to their study.

Findings and Suggestions

  • 12.5% (1) Govt. college were established between 1974-1983.
  • There were 7 colleges were established above 2003.
  • There were none of colleges were established between 1984-2003.
  • Computer facilities is not available in 7 colleges.
  • Internet facilities not available in 7 colleges.
  • 12.5% of colleges have students strength between 1 - 50.
  • One college have student strength between 251-300.
  • 25% (2) college have permanent teaching staff above 1 -  2.
  • 12.5% college have permanent teaching staff above 6 members.
  • 75% of college have lack of non-teaching.
  • 12.5% of college library established between 1974-1983.
  • 87.50% (7) college libraries were established above 2003.
  • 76.92% (200) users were satisfied with existing Internet facility in college libraries.
  • Non of users used the Internet at computer centre.
  • 86.54% (225) of users used the Internet at college library.
  • 3.85% (10) of users used the Internet to exchange of information.
  • 7.70% (20) of users used the Internet for browsing and downloading concerned related articles.
  • 7.70% (20) of users used the Internet to get conference information.
  • 18.85% (49) of users were required to increase Internet band width.
  • 40.38% (105) of users were needed of training/awareness program for facility.
  • 19.23% (50) of users used the Internet less than 2 hours.
  • 76.92% (200) of users were required need for orientation training programme.
  • 23.08% (60) of users were required advanced Internet training is necessary.
  • 38.46% (100) of users were acquired Internet skill by computer centre.
  • 26.15% (68) of users were acquired Internet skill by library staff.
  • 20% (52) of users were searched information directly by using search engines.
  • 5.77% (15) of users were searched information with help of lecturer.
  • 6.92% (18) of users were searched information with help of librarian.
  • 3.85% (10) of users were not used Internet due to lack of training.
  • 38.46% (100) of users were not used Internet due to lack of awareness.

Recommendations for College Libraries

  • Seven colleges should purchase computer, which is essential to provide quick reference services to users.
  • Seven college libraries should provide Internet facilities to their users.  For this higher authorities should encourage to provide Internet facility.
  • Higher authorities of colleges should bring awareness to public to take more admission in the colleges.
  • Govt. of Karnataka should appointment of more number of teaching staff to colleges.
  • Govt. of Karnataka should appoint more number of supporting staff to library. 
  • More member of user should use Internet for:
    • Sending manuscripts for publication of article.
    • Exchange of information between two clients.
    • For project works especially faculty members.
    • To get conference information.
    • To get reprints for critical reading.
    • Home assignment and course related materials but not for sending/receiving e-mail.

Recommendations for Librarians

  • Library employees should motivate to users use the Internet.
  • Library employees should increase the Internet band-width from lower to higher band-width.
  • Library employees should provide training and awareness programme to users.
  • More users should use the Internet at least 5 hours a day.
  • Library employees should give advanced training programmes to users, if necessary.
  • References

    Adame, Daneil O., et al. Internet use for health Information among college students. Journal of American College Health 5(3&4) Jan 2005 - Feb.

    Adanu. T., and Alemna A. lnternet use of at the Balme Library. Library HiTech News, 22 (2) 2005, PP. 25 -26.

    Bidar District Gazetter.  Bangalore: Government of Karnataka, 1977.

    Census of India Karnataka: 2001.  Karnataka Administrative Atlas.  Bangalore: Directorate of Census Operations, 2006.

    Eynon, Rebecca. The use of the Internet in higher education. Aslib Proceedings, 57(2) 2005, PP 168-180.

    Luambano, T., and Julita N. Internet use by Students of the University of Dar es Salaam. Library Hi Tech News, 2( I0) 2004 PP 13-17.

    Subbaram, J. Indira. Internet in a nutshell. DESIDOC Bulletin of Information Technology. 1996: 16(3): p3-10.

    Yazdani, G. Bidar: Its History and Movements. London: Oxford University. Press, 1947.

    homepage

    contents

    contact us