CORS 220: HW#2: Tsunami Preparedness in the United States
Your second assignment of the semester will require you to investigate the tsunami hazard to the United States, the level of preparedness in potentially affected communities, and the systems in place to provide warnings of impending disasters.
Tsunamis are possible in the United States and its territories in response to a variety of causes, including earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and landslides (both subaerial and subaqueous). You need to determine which areas are potentially at risk from tsunamis based on historical events or geologic assessments. Provide detailed explanations about why tsunamis are possible in these areas. Then provide a synopsis of how these communities are attempting to prepare for the possibility of a tsunami through education, evacuation plans, and infrastructural planning. Also explain the role of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in assisting these regions at risk through advance warning systems.
If you have ever visited any of the areas that you determine to be a tsunami risk, feel free to include a personal perspective about your state of knowledge about this hazard prior to visiting that location.
* Your report must be approximately 3-5 pages in length (1.5 line spacing; 10-12pt text; 1" margins).
* Your report must include a title and your name.
* Use sub-headings to differentiate the different aspects of the report and the different geographical areas.
* Your grade will be determined by content, writing style, and grammar.
* You may include figures with your report at the end of the text. The figures will not count towards the page limit.
* Include a references list at the end of the report showing all your sources of information, including websites (does not count towards the page limit).
This report will be worth 20 points.
PROJECT DUE DATE: Due in class on Tuesday, October 12th. Late submissions (up to 5 pm) can be uploaded onto Blackboard as a PDF (with a 25% grade deduction).