Setup Discussion Forum
This tutorial walks you through the process of setting up discussion forums for your course. To setup discussions for a subset of students, please see Create Group Discussions.
A Discussion Forum is an area where a topic or a group of related topics are discussed. Within each Forum, users can create multiple threads. A thread includes the initial post and any replies to it. You can create Forums and threads to organize discussions into units or topics relevant to your course. Discussion Forums can be graded.
Structure of a Threaded Discussion
It helps to understand how the Discussion Board is structured before you begin setting up your discussions.
- All Posts are held within a Thread.
- All Theads are held within a Forum.
- All Forums are held within a Discussion Board.
(1:46 min video)
Add link to Discussion Tool
Note: If you've already added a link to the Discussion Tool on your course menu, skip to the next step below.
- Point to the PLUS symbol above the course menu to add a Tool Link
- Enter a Name for the course menu item such as Class Discussion
- Select a Type of Discussion Board
- Check the Available to Users option
- Press Submit
Create Discussion Forum
- Click on the Discussion Board Tool link in the course menu (called Class Discussion in this example).
- Click the Create Forum button
- On the Create Forum page type in a Name for the Forum (e.g., Group Discussion-Week 1).
- In the text editor box, type in a description of the Forum.
IMPORTANT: make sure to include the Forum topic you want your students to discuss as well as any relevant instructions.
Learn more about using the BbLearn Text Editor.
- Under Forum Availability check YES to make the Forum available.
- Optional: Under Forum Availability set Display After/Until date range.
- Optional: Selecting Grade Discussion Forum option and entering the Points Possible for the Forum. This will automatically create a column in the Grade Center.
- Optional: Associate a Rubric with this Forum. Learn more about Rubrics.
- Leave the option to Allow Members to Create New Threads checked, unless you have a specific reason to not allow this.
- Review and select any other settings specific to your Forum.
- Click the Submit button to save your settings.
- BbLearn will display a success message indicated that your discussion forum has been created.
- You can access the discussion forum by clicking on the name of the forum.