Embed Content from other Sites
BbLearn allows you to display externally stored content within your course by embedding content from sources such as YouTube, Vimeo, etc.
Embedding Ted Talks
Whenever you wish to embed a Ted Talk in BbLearn, use YouTube.com as your source rather than Ted.com. This avoids blocked content problems steming from security issues.
Copy "Embed" HTML Code
- View the external content (e.g., video, presentation) in the application where it is stored (e.g., YouTube, Vimeo, etc.).
- Click on the Share or Embed link displayed near the desired content. For YouTube, click on Share. (shown below)
- For YouTube, click on Embed.
- For YouTube, uncheck the Show suggested videos when the video finishes.
- Copy the HTML embed code displayed so that it can be inserted into BbLearn. To do this quickly in YouTube, click on Copy near the bottom of the window. (shown below)
Paste HTML into "Item"
- Go to the Content Area (left side menu item) where you wish to add your embedded item (see left menu). If you do not yet have a content area created for this, Create a New Content Area and label it appropriately before continuing with the instructions below.
- Now that you have copied the embed code, from within the desired Content Area, select Build Content and click on Item.
- Enter a Name for the embedded item.
- Click the HTML Code View button as shown below. This will pop-up a small window where HTML code can be added and edited. (If the HTML Code View icon is not visible, click the Show More button at the top right corner of the BbLearn Text Editor to display all available icons.)
- Paste the Embed HTML Code into the HTML Code View window.
- If the link to the URL above starts off with "https:" (i.e. https://www.youtube.com/embed/...) it has a good chance of working correctly in BbLearn as is. However, if the embed URL starts off with "http:" instead of "https:", remove the "http:". (e.g., href="http://www.slide....." will change to href="//www.slide.....")
- Press Update to return to the Text Editor.
- Press Submit to save the Item.
Troubleshooting Embedded Content
HTML code fix
Embedded content that is not viewable due to browser security might be fixed by modifying the HTML code. To try this method:
- Click the option menu next to your embedded item, select Edit.
- Click the HTML Code View icon in the Editor's bottom row of icons. This will pop-up a small resizable window where HTML code can be edited. (Click the right-side Show More button if you don't see the HTML Code View icon in the text editor.)
Code using "https:" has a good chance of working correctly in BbLearn. However, if the embed URL starts off with "http:" instead of "https:", remove the "http:" as shown below.
- Press Update on the HTML Code View window.
- Press Submit to save your changes.
- BbLearn will display a Success message indicating the item has been saved. You may need to leave the current page and come back to see your changes.
- If viewing issues continue after applying this fix, use a Web Link instead.