I. Francis (Frank) Cheng
Electro-, Analytical and Environmental Chemistries
B.S. 1982 University of Delaware
Ph.D. 1987 The Pennsylvania State University
Postdoctoral Fellow 1987-89 Texas A&M University
Editorial Board: Microchemical Journal
Tel. (208) 885-6387
Back to the UI Chemistry Website
November, 2021 lŕr, Kailash Hamal, Jai Earsley, Dipak Koirala, Jeremy May, Forrest Dalbec, William Strub, Frank Cheng.
Kailash Hamal’s UI Alumni Award for Excellence, video.
Jeremy May – Winner of 2020 College of Science Research Expo.
1. GUITAR, Graphite/Graphene from the University of Idaho Thermolyzed Asphalt Reaction ,
2.Electrochemical Devices Comprising Carbon-Based Materials. Projected U.S. Patent No. 10,804,041, Issue Date October 13, 2020. https://patents.google.com/patent/US10804041B2/en
NEW 3. pH Sensing Using Pseudo-Graphite, Patent # 11,327,046. Issue Date May 11, 2022, https://patents.justia.com/patent/11327046
NEW Approved 4. U.S. Application No. 16/292323, Technologies Using Nitrogen-Functionalized Pseudo-Graphite, https://patents.google.com/patent/US20200284750A1/en
5. International Application No.PCT/US2020/021145, International Filing Date 05.03.2020, Chemical Oxygen Demand Sensing Using Pseudo-Graphite, https://patents.google.com/patent/US20200284747A1/en
6. U.S. Application No. 16/292318, Chlorine Species Sensing Using Pseudo-Graphite, https://patents.google.com/patent/US20200284748A1/en
7. U.S. Application No. 16/292325, Technologies Using Pseudo-Graphite Composites, https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/c6/9d/ae/fae1587a058f3c/US20200284749A1.pdf
8. U.S. Application No. 16/292322, Technologies Using Surface-Modified Pseudo-Graphite, https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/c6/9d/ae/fae1587a058f3c/US20200284749A1.pdf
Positions of Group Alums – Jeremy Foutch (Novarits, Texas), Isaiah Gyan (Intel, Oregon), Kenichi Shimizu (Northvolt, Sweden), Haoyu Zhu (Postdoc, Boise State University), Mark Engelmann (Pacific Northwest National Labs), Jose’ Morales (BMC, Puerto Rico) Derek Laine (Industrial Consultant), Christina Nordoun (Environmental Consultant), Simon McAllister (Arclin, Product Development Manager) Yuqun Xie (Faculty Member, Huazhong Agricultural University, China), Ryan Hutcheson (Pixis Labs, Portland OR) Rubha Ponraj (Hanyang University, South Korea, Researcher), Edmund Wong (EPA, Chicago), Humayun Kabir (Lumigen, Michigan), Francisco Ramirez (Marathon Oil Refinery, Washington), Kailash Hamal (Intel, Oregon)
Research – Carbon materials for batteries, fuel cells, ultracapacitors, sensors and water purification, mechanisms of heavy metal poisoning, dietary antioxidants, biological oxidations, room temperature “combustion” of persistent organic pollutants and the detection of improvised explosives.
UI - Physical and Chemical Characterization Centers,
Research Links: Graphene/Graphite from the University of Idaho Thermolyzed Asphalt Reaction-(GUITAR UI Video), Seminars and Presentations, Publications, Present Funding, Present and Former Research Students, Graduate Admissions Page, NIST Chemistry WebBook
Course Links: Current Courses
Chem 303-307 Physical Chemistry Lab Fall 2021
Chem 454 Instrumental Analysis Spring 2021
Chem 409 Proseminar Spring 2021
Chem 504 Advanced Topics in Electrochemistry Spring 2020
Chem 558 Electrochemistry Fall 2018
Chem 112 Fall 2017
Chem 253 Quantitative Analysis Fall 2016
Chem 254 Quantitative Analysis Lab Fall 2016